What is the best food for your pet? Consider the benefits of a low glycemic diet.
Glycemic Index (GI), Explained
GI measures how a particular carbohydrate source affects blood sugar levels. GI is measured on a scale of 0 to 100, which compares a given food to pure glucose (GI of 100). Refined simple carbohydrates have the highest GI scores, while unrefined complex carbohydrates have the lowest scores.
Foods with a high GI are rapidly digested, resulting in undesired spikes of blood sugar levels, while low glycemic alternatives are slowly absorbed, resulting in a beneficial gradual increase in blood glucose levels.
Benefits of Low Glycemic Ingredients
Pet foods with a high GI are rapidly digested, resulting in unwanted spikes in blood glucose levels, while low glycemic alternatives are slowly absorbed, resulting in a gradual, normal increase in blood glucose levels. A few benefits of feeding your pet food with low glycemic ingredients:
- Helps control appetite and keep pets from over eating
- Lowers the risk of metabolic diseases such as diabetes
- Keeps energy levels balanced throughout the day
- Tailored for diabetic pets
Low Glycemic Brands Available at the Barkery
The ideal low-glycemic pet foods contain no potato or grains. At the Barkery we have several brands to choose from that fit the low GI criteria. Here are just a few to consider on your next visit, or even shop in our online store:
Please read ingredient list for each product when shopping online as some recipes may differ
We’re happy to announce a new line at the Barkery: American Natural Premium.
- Added Prebiotics & Probiotics
- Added Vitamins & Minerals
- By-Product Free
- All Life Stages Formula
- 100% USDA-Inspected Ingredients
- Made in the USA
- $2 off of small bags of canine OR feline food
- $4 off of medium bags of canine OR large bags of feline food
- $6 off of large bags of canine food!
*Ingredients may vary per food recipe chosen
Save big on Endurance Plus all month long!
- $2 OFF small bags of dog or cat food
- $4 OFF medium bags of dog or cat food
- $6 OFF large bags of dog food
If you’re making the transition from regular supermarket dog or cat foods to all-natural, American Natural Premium is a great choice!
- Summer Killer Alert: Blue-Green AlgaeJuly 19, 2018 - 2:40 pm
- July Sale: Primal Pet FoodsJuly 2, 2018 - 12:22 pm
- Natural Solutions for Your Pet’s AnxietyJune 18, 2018 - 11:48 am
- How to Safely Satisfy Your Cat’s Hunting InstinctsJune 11, 2018 - 3:13 pm
- June Special – NuloJune 1, 2018 - 3:34 pm
- Can Dogs Get Heat Stroke?May 31, 2018 - 2:38 pm
- Is Sunscreen Safe to Use On Pets?May 23, 2018 - 4:24 pm