What is the best food for your pet? Consider the benefits of a low glycemic diet.
Glycemic Index (GI), Explained
GI measures how a particular carbohydrate source affects blood sugar levels. GI is measured on a scale of 0 to 100, which compares a given food to pure glucose (GI of 100). Refined simple carbohydrates have the highest GI scores, while unrefined complex carbohydrates have the lowest scores.
Foods with a high GI are rapidly digested, resulting in undesired spikes of blood sugar levels, while low glycemic alternatives are slowly absorbed, resulting in a beneficial gradual increase in blood glucose levels.
Benefits of Low Glycemic Ingredients
Pet foods with a high GI are rapidly digested, resulting in unwanted spikes in blood glucose levels, while low glycemic alternatives are slowly absorbed, resulting in a gradual, normal increase in blood glucose levels. A few benefits of feeding your pet food with low glycemic ingredients:
- Helps control appetite and keep pets from over eating
- Lowers the risk of metabolic diseases such as diabetes
- Keeps energy levels balanced throughout the day
- Tailored for diabetic pets
Low Glycemic Brands Available at the Barkery
The ideal low-glycemic pet foods contain no potato or grains. At the Barkery we have several brands to choose from that fit the low GI criteria. Here are just a few to consider on your next visit, or even shop in our online store:
Please read ingredient list for each product when shopping online as some recipes may differ
We’re happy to announce a new line at the Barkery: American Natural Premium.
- Added Prebiotics & Probiotics
- Added Vitamins & Minerals
- By-Product Free
- All Life Stages Formula
- 100% USDA-Inspected Ingredients
- Made in the USA
- $2 off of small bags of canine OR feline food
- $4 off of medium bags of canine OR large bags of feline food
- $6 off of large bags of canine food!
*Ingredients may vary per food recipe chosen
Save big on Endurance Plus all month long!
- $2 OFF small bags of dog or cat food
- $4 OFF medium bags of dog or cat food
- $6 OFF large bags of dog food
If you’re making the transition from regular supermarket dog or cat foods to all-natural, American Natural Premium is a great choice!
- Dog Owners: Beware of Toxic Blue-Green AlgaeAugust 14, 2019 - 4:15 pm
- Poisonous Plants for Cats – What to AvoidAugust 9, 2019 - 4:26 pm
- Success of Barkery & Bath’s Online Store Featured in KC Business JournalAugust 6, 2019 - 4:01 pm
- Choosing the Right Brush for Your PetAugust 2, 2019 - 3:13 pm
- August Special – Fromm Freebies!August 1, 2019 - 9:28 am
- Why You Should Never Store Pet Food in a Plastic ContainerJuly 26, 2019 - 11:22 am
- Why Do Cats Love Cardboard Boxes?July 12, 2019 - 11:13 am