Here at Brookside Barkery, we love the holiday season. It’s the best time of the year, but it also can be the busiest! Many are traveling to see family and sadly, our pets can’t always come with us. Although your pets can stay at a boarding facility while you’re away, some cats and dogs really prefer to be at home. Getting someone you trust to look after your pets can have a number of advantages, both for you and your furry family.
So what are the benefits of having a pet sitter?
- Some pets are happiest at home. Although there are dogs and cats who enjoy going on their own little holiday, some pets can get a bit anxious being taken out of their familiar environment. These pets tend to be happier at home when their owners are away, adapting much better to a new person than to a new environment.
- Routine, Routine, Routine. Our pets are creatures of habit and their routines are incredibly important. From their feeding plan to regular walks. A house sitter can keep the day-to-day consistent causing minimal disruption to
our pet’s lifestyle.
- Peace of Mind. Knowing that your pet is safely at home being looked after by a trusted house sitter can help you relax and enjoy your holiday without feeling guilty.
- Security. Your house sitter can bring in the mail, look after the garden and generally make the house look lived in while you are away. You can’t beat the security of actually having someone live in your home.
- Cost. Sometimes boarding your pets can cost more than your own holiday, so if you have multiple animals, house sitting can be a great deal. The rate tends to be negotiated privately between you and your sitter and may depend on how much work is involved in caring for your house and pets and whether your home is in a sought after location. In some cases, you can find a house sitter that just needs a rent-free place to stay in exchange for looking after your pets.
If you’re thinking about getting a pet sitter during your holiday travels, your best bet is to ask your family and friends if they’d like to or if they know anyone that might be available. It’s best to consider someone who lives close to you, and of course loves pets. And as you gear up for the holidays, don’t forget to stop by the Barkery to up those holiday presents for your favorite four-legged friends!
*Thank you to lovethatpet.com for these great tips!