Is your Ice Melt TOXIC?

Kansas City winter brings crazy temperature changes as well as snow and ice. Slipping on ice is always a concern during these winter months, and the most common solution is using ice melt to keep sidewalks safe. If you have dogs in your life, there is a good chance the ice melt on your porch and sidewalks is toxic to their little paws. This article from CeasarsWay.com explains the risks associated with ice melt, along with how to keep your canine’s paws safe.

Salt and de-icers can be toxicPoodle(cropped)snow-coat
Be aware that salt and most de-icers can be toxic to our canine friends. Try to keep your dog away from roads and sidewalks that have been heavily treated with salt and chemical de-icers. There are pet friendly de-icers available for use on your own sidewalks and driveway, and you should encourage your neighbors to do the same.

Immediately after a walk, wash your dog’s paws with warm water to help prevent them from ingesting any salt or chemicals that may be on their paws. While outdoors, do not let your dog eat slush or drink from puddles near heavily treated roads and sidewalks.

Dogs are susceptible to frostbite and hypothermia just as people are so use common sense as to how long your walksbarkery bath can be. Keep them short and watch for signs of hypothermia such as shivering, anxiety and moving slowly.

Winter can be tough on our dog’s feet but good grooming and protecting the paws by using a balm or booties will go a long way to keeping your dog’s feet healthy.

Keep your pup  warm on your winter walk with a winter coat from the Brookside Barkery!